If you are anything life me when it fall is approaching you begin thinking about your favorite foods, smells and things to do. What came to my mind was my Grandmas old fashioned apple dumplings, the ultimate fall treat.
This recipe has been a family favorite fall dessert for as long as I can remember.
My Grandmother did not often use a recipe as she did everything from scratch and memory.
However, she did share this recipe with her church for a cookbook fundraiser so I have it in print and wanted to share it with you today.
I will preface this by saying I am not a baker and these are super easy to make.
This is the original recipe but I did make a change that I will share at the end.
You can choose if you want to make it the original way or with my substitution.
- 2 c. butter milk
- 4 tsp. Crisco
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 4 c. all purpose flour
- 5 or 6 Red Delicious or another type
- white sugar and cinnamon to taste
- squares of butter
- Mix filling: Slice apples 1/8" thick, mix white sugar and cinnamon and add to apples.
- Mix dough:Mix buttermilk, Crisco, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add flour until dough is like pie shell dough. Roll out on floured surface. Add the apple mixture, the desired amount on dough. Place a small square of butter in center of each dumpling. Cut dough out around each dumpling and fold up around ingredients. Pinch together at top.
- Mix: Brown sugar, cinnamon and white sugar together then sprinkle over dumplings before baking. Bake 35-40 minutes at 400 to 425 degrees F.
Tips for your fall dessert
The one change I made was substituting butter for the Crisco and felt like the dough was not quite as flaky as i remember it being.
I would suggest you choose which you prefer and do it that way.
My grandmother mixed this by hand, however I did not.
For the mixing I used my trusty Kitchenaide stand mixer and it did the trick.
Old fashioned apple dumplings are the ultimate fall treat for anyone who loves apples.
You could change up the recipe with your favorite fruit to create your own fall dessert.
Another great idea would be to take these on a fall picnic, see this post I did here for some ideas.
If you are looking for more fall inspiration click here for my favorite fall beverage.
This simple made from scratch fall dessert is perfect for the cooler months.
Enjoy your made from scratch apple dumplings, the ultimate fall treat.
This post contains affiliate links at no additional cost to you, see disclosure statement.
Till next time