Have you ever longed for a piece of furniture or decor for your home only to get it and not know what to do with it?
Well for me that piece was a plate rack that I had wanted forever.
I found one on my local Facebook marketplace for an amazing price.
After getting it home I was a little stumped on how to style the plate rack.
For several days I left it totally bare, really thinking about how the piece best served my home.
After adjusting my thought process, I ran with a few different designs and wanted to share three ways to style your plate rack.
For style one I decided to go with it’s original intended purpose, and style it with some plates.
If you are using your plate rack as such, some ideas might include:
- vintage transfer ware (mine are from the thrift store)
- if your style is more modern, use bold colored or designed plates
- unusual small scale salt and pepper shakers
- demijohns or varying height bottles that you have on hand
- collection of decorative coffee mugs
- be sure to use like items in a small groupings
- balance out your display on top, bottom and diagonally
The idea with this is to use things that speak to your style and what you love.
I love that these things are all vintage and that brings them together and makes them cohesive in style and design.
This style may be my favorite of the three.
Some items that would work for this plate rack style:
- small greenery
- vintage demijohn or interesting bottles
- glass insulators
- collection of small scale cutting boards
- wooden architectural pieces
- keep the color in the same family for a cohesive look
- be sure to place your cutting boards in varying directions for visual interest
Adding items that you love make this appropriate for any home decor style.
Leaving the vintage bottles on the plate rack for style three.
Items that would work for this style:
- collection of vintage books or small cookbooks stacked for visual interest (these are from the thrift store)
- small clear vase or odd shape bottles
- wooden signs
- collection of wooden houses
- white ceramic houses from Target
- printable artwork can be switched out each season (from Etsy)
These are just a few examples and ideas of what you can add to your plate rack to bring out your personal decor style and make it your own.
Be sure what ever you decide to display on your rack has varying heights, texture and visual interest.
If you are using vintage pieces in your home you can refer back to a previous post on safety in using vintage items.
The possibilities are really endless in how you style your plate rack. You can make it as traditional or modern as you like.
Now go be creative, and share. I would love to see your styled plate rack.
Till next time