Looking for ways to style your small porch? Today I am sharing how to style a small porch for summer.
If you are visiting from This Dear Casa, welcome, I am so happy you are here. Didn’t you love her tips for prepping your outdoor space for summer?
In case you are new here, let me introduce myself. My name is Sonya, I am a coastal North Carolina mom to three and a Special Education teacher. I love helping you create your dream home right where you are on a budget.
You are in for a treat as I am joining a group of amazing bloggers in sharing our summer porch ideas.
Thank you to Maria at Pure Happy Home for putting this together and inviting me to participate.
Ready to be inspired? Sit back with your favorite beverage and enjoy?
Today I am sharing ideas on how to style a small porch for summer.
What are the advantages of having a small porch?
If you have a small porch, deck or patio, you may be wondering if there are any advantages to styling a small porch.
There are several advantages to name a few.
- Curb appeal – having a styled small porch adds instant curb appeal to your home or apartment. When a porch or patio is not styled it often appears no one is living there.
- Welcome – a home or apartment with seating on the porch or deck welcomes guest to sit and chat. It makes others feel welcomed.
- Budget friendly – think of having a porch as an extension of your home, using the same style as the indoors to create a uniform style. A smaller porch may be easier and more budget friendly to style.
Can you style a small porch in a rental?
Absolutely you can style a small porch regardless of being a homeowner, home renter or an apartment dweller.
You should decorate your small porch even if you are a renter to create your home story.
Being a renter should not limit you in how you decorate your small porch, patio or deck space.
Be open to the idea of creating your home wherever you are, including your small porch.
Be sure to find out if there are any rules for your particular rental or apartments and then begin styling your outdoor space.
Styling your small outdoor space even if it is a rental is important in making your space feel like home.
Having your porch styled creates a place for you to relax, meet neighbors and be with nature.
Here are some ideas for your summer porch.
Summer porch ideas
- Before you begin, make a plan for how you want to use your small porch before deciding on your decor and furniture.
- It is always a good idea to begin with the foundation of a space, the floor. Adding a rug is a great way to bring in a pop of coordinating color to your small porch area. Having a rug is also a great way to add some privacy if you are in an upper level apartment.
- From there it is good to figure out your outdoor furniture, here I have used some vintage chairs that came from my mother. Remember to use furniture that is to scale for your particular small porch, you do not want to overwhelm the space with large scale furniture.
- Add a small table to enjoy your morning coffee.
- Once you have your rug and furniture, it is time to plan out your plants and the colors you would like to use.
- With a small porch area it is good to use the same kind of pots and or coordinating pots to keep things visually uncluttered.
- Use railing to add hanging planters with flowers while making use of the available space.
- Add varying heights in your plants.
- Looking to create a feel of a backyard? Add lots of greenery to fill in spaces leaving room for a small bistro table.
- If you live in an apartment using outdoor curtains is a great way to create privacy and shade on your small porch.
- Another idea to create privacy on an apartment porch is adding fabric around the railing.
- Add lighting such as string lights or lanterns to cozy up your small porch.
Key points to remember when styling your small porch
- Keep the decor simple as not to create clutter in the small space.
- Add interest with plants and rug color.
- Use the same plant colors or tones if doing a color story.
- Keep the space and furniture clean from outside dirt and grime.
- Use outdoor pillows to make it comfortable and add a pop of color.
- Add a few small outdoor accessories for personality.
- Use string lights to add lighting that does not take up space.
- Have pride in where you live even if you are a renter.
Shop this post
This post contains affiliate links at no extra cost to you. You can read the disclosure policy on the disclosure page.
Looking for some interior styling ideas for your home this summer? Read here.
Need some summer tablescape inspiration? This is one to read.
Be sure to visit Maria at Pure Happy Home next, you will love her porch ideas.
All the other bloggers are listed below, please be sure to go check them out and show them some love.Juliet – itsaloverlylife.com Kimberley – fromfarmhousetoflorida.com Kim – perfectingplaces.com Donna – anorganizedseason.com Mary Jo – masterpiecesofmylife.com Traci – perfectingplaces.com Carol – blueskyathome.com Marie – thisdearcasa.com Sonya – sonyaburgess.com
If you have a small flower bed you need ideas and tips on, this post has great ideas.
Till next time