The holiday season is quickly approaching and its time to start planning your decor. Looking for some new ornaments this holiday season? Today I am sharing how to create a simple chinoiserie Christmas ornament.
This post contains affiliate links at no additional cost to you. You may read the full disclosure on the disclosure page.
I joined some amazing blogging friends in making a creative Christmas ornament and think you will enjoy the simplicity of it.
As part of the blog hop I shared my simple chinoiserie Christmas ornament.
This year I really wanted to do something a little different with my smaller tree I use in the entry hallway.
Originally I had planned on purchasing some Chinoiserie ornaments.
That was until I began pricing them.
Those type of ornaments can be really expensive and most are fragile.
After not finding anything within my budget, I decide to try and make my own.
I realized with just a few simple supplies I was able to make some beautiful ornaments for my tree.
- 5 x 5 paper napkins
- Mod Podge
- small paint brush
- 20 clear plastic ornaments
WIth only a few supplies you are ready to begin making your ornament.
You can follow these simple steps.
Steps to making a chinoiserie ornament
- open up your napkin lay it out flat
- cut each square off the napkin
- take the four squares and cut into 1 x 3 strips
- paint a thin coat of Mod Podge onto the clear ornament
- place a strip on top of Mod Podge
- add a layer of Mod Podge on top of each strip
- continue overlapping the strips as you go
- overlapping until the entire ornament is covered
Completing your ornament
After the ornament is completely covered with the napkin strips go over the entire ornament with a brush.
The brush will smooth out any bubbles and wrinkles that may have been created when adding the strips.
Once the ornament is completely covered in napkin strips, double check to be sure each piece is attached.
Sit your ornaments aside overnight to dry completely.
After they are completely dry, you can attach a ribbon or yarn to hang your ornament with.
With a little time and effort you can create a simple chinoiserie Christmas ornament to.
You can click on the picture below to access a “how to” card to have for quick reference.
- 20 clear plastic ornaments
- 1 package of 5 x 5 paper napkins
- Glossy Mod Podge
- A small paint brush
- open your napkin and cut out each of the four squares
- cut each square into 1 x 3 strips
- paint a thin layer of Mod Podge into the clear ornament
- place your napkin strip on top of the Mod Podge then paint a layer on top of the strip
- do this overlapping each strip as to cover the entire ornament
- be sure to get the strip flat without any wrinkles if possible
- once the entire ornament is done let it sit overnight to dry completely
I used matte Mod Podge because that is what I had already but would suggest that the glossy is best.
Use these simple steps to create an ornament that fits your home decor style with any pattern napkin.
Come back and share any ornaments you make, I would love to see them.
Ready for more simple holiday inspiration?
Check out a fun way to add some flair to your holiday packages and gifts this year.
Looking for a fun way to light up your outdoor trees this holiday? Check this simple diy out.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday season and be sure to leave your email for simple, budget friendly diy’s and decor ideas.
Until next time